Life in the time of Covid19
This year 2020 we have been victims of a plague caused by a novel corona virus that has been named COVID19. As of today over 50,000 people in the United States alone have perished. It is a pandemic and has affected over 180 countries in the world.
It has closed businesses worldwide, affected the airlines, the cruise ship industry, retail shops, small businesses and much more as well as caused a lot of suffering due to illness and death. Schools have been closed and students have been taking classes virtually . ie: via computer learning. We have had to do what is called social distancing which means we are not supposed to congregate in groups of more than 5 people. Events like Easter have gone almost uncelebrated and masses have not been celebrated in the church but on line as have most other activities. We have been told to wear masks to cover our mouths and noses and there are shields in front of the cashiers at all the stores that have are still open. Like grocery stores. Frequent handwashing is the norm. This virus tragically affects older people harder as those with preexisting conditions. We don't know when it is going to go away and if it does when and if it will return.
Today I went to the grocery store and was very upset. While there is still adequate food in the supermarket many shelves are empty and the meat counter has limited amounts of meats. I stocked up and spent a lot more money than I usually do. I don't want to hoard food but I am definitely concerned that in the short term there could be shortages of food. I hope I am wrong. Also, there are arrows on the floor to designate the direction which people should travel and of course we are not supposed to get close to anyone in the aisles. And don't forget to wear your mask.
On a somewhat lighter note but actually not we can't get to our hairdressers so our gray roots are starting to show. Fortunately, my hairdresser did supply me with a mixture that I could use for my roots until her shop reopens and she can work her magic and make my hair look good again.
Well, today is April 27. 2020. We have been at this pandemic since at least February although it may have started earlier. But it was about that time that we started to become more aware of Covid19. As of today, our President, seems to think some of the states can begin to open their economy. Our Governor in the state of Rhode Island is being a little slower to do it which I give her a lot of credit to err on the side of safety and to try to open the economy too early and cause a big set back and an increase in the virus and more deaths.
I am hoping that this will dissipate and we can get back to a better way of life. The good news is that the air and water is cleaner and we have slowed our lives down to a more relaxing pace. Of course this will not last but it has helped the planet to a small degree. Albeit temporarily. Going forward we will see what the "new normal" will be. I want face masks to be a thing of the past and I want to go back to hugging people and shaking hands. and not distance myself from people like they are dangerous to be near. So we will see.

Comments
Post a Comment